Primary business computer center in NSCC-TJ is one of the fastest speed in the current world of "TH-1A" supercomputer, which has been supported by National 863 Hi-Tech Program,and which has been supported by the National University of Defense technology developed jointly with the Binhai New area in September 2010.
TH-1A Super Computer
The research and development of “TH-1A” began in 2008 as a two-phase project.
The phase I system (TH-1) was built successfully in September 2009, and the theoretical peak speed of this system was 1206TFlops while the result of its LINPACK test was 563.1TFlops. It was the first petaflop supercomputer in China. On the biannual TOP 500 supercomputer list released in November 2009, it was ranked the fastest supercomputer in Asia, and the fifth fastest computer in the world. The completion of phase I system indicated that it was a breakthrough for China to develop supercomputers from one hundred trillion flops per second to quadrillion flops per second. China has become the second country with the petaflop supercomputer R&D capability in the world besides the United States.
The phase II system (TH-1A) was upgraded and enhanced in NSCC-TJ in August 2010. The theoretical peak speed of the enhanced system was 4700TFlops, and its LINPACK test reached 2566TFlops. The enhanced system partly adopted the domestic FT-1000 CPUs, and was ranked the first on the TOP 500 list released in November 2010. The system has made a significant progress from being the first in Asia to being the first in the world. This indicates that China’s overall technology of supercomputer development with self-intellectual property has reached the international advanced level, which is a historic breakthrough.
Tianhe-1 system adopts a hybrid architecture of heterogeneous integration of CPUs and GPUs. The main hardware of the system consists of 5 components: the computing system, the interconnected communication system, the I/O system, the monitoring and diagnostic system, and the infrastructure system. The main software of Tianhe-1 system is composed of the operating system, the compiling system, the parallel programming environment, and the scientific visualization system. Tianhe-1 system’s overall technical indexes are as follows:
(1) It has the theoretical peak speed of 4700TFlops, the LINPACK test result of 2566TFlops, the total memory of 262TB, and the disk capacity of 2PB. The power dissipation at full load is 4.04MW.
(2) The computing system includes 7,168 computing nodes and 1,024 service nodes. Each computing node is configured with two Intel CPUs and one NVIDIA GPU. Each service node has two FT-1000 CPUs. There are totally 23,552 microprocessors, including 14,336 Intel Xeon X5670 CPUs (2.93GHz, six-core), 2,048 FT-1000 CPUs (1.0GHz, eight-core), and 7,168 NVIDIA M2050 GPUs (1.15GHz, 14 cores/448 CUDA cores). There are totally 102,400 CPU cores and 100,352 GPU cores.
(3) The interconnected communication system uses high-radix Network Routing Chips (NRC) and high-speed Network Interface Chips (NIC) to construct the communication network. Both NRC and NIC chips are designed with self-intellectual property. The interconnection topology is an optic-electronic hybrid fat-tree structure with the bi-directional bandwidth of 160Gbps, the latency of 1.57μs, and the switch density of 61.44Tbps in a single backboard.
(4) The I/O system uses the Luster file system, which is a distributed globally shared file system. It has 6 I/O management nodes, 128 I/O storage nodes, and 2PB disk capacity.
(5) The monitoring and diagnostic system adopts a distributed centralized management architecture. It can monitor, control, diagnose, and debug the entire system in a real-time and secure way.
(6) The infrastructure system uses a high-density assemblage technique, in which node cases can be plugged in a double-side backplane. A liquid cooling air-conditioning mechanism is adopted to dissipate heat loads from air tight racks. There are 140 cabinets in Tianhe-1 system, including 112 computing cabinets, 8 service cabinets, 6 communication cabinets, and 14 I/O cabinets. The entire system weighs about 160 tons and occupies 700m2. The temperature of the running environment is 10℃~35℃, and the humidity is 10%~90%.
(7) The operating system of Tianhe-1 is 64-bit Kylin Linux, which is oriented to high-performance parallel computing optimization, and supports power management and high-performance virtual computing zone. The operating system broadly supports the third-party application software.
(8) The compiling system of Tianhe-1 supports such languages as C, C++, Fortran77/90/95, and Java; it also supports OpenMP and MPI parallel programming, as well as the heterogeneous cooperative programming framework, which achieves high performance by using CPUs and GPUs cooperatively.
TH-1 system ：
♦ 256 compute nodes, 8 IO nodes
♦ Memory capacity: 8TB
♦ Storage capacity: 96TB
♦ Communication bandwidth: 40Gbps
♦ Operating system: Linux
♦ Compiling system: C,C++,Fortran 77/90/95 and Java
♦ Main application: HPC, Engineering design and simulation
♦64 compute nodes
♦Memory capacity: 8TB
♦Storage capacity : 128TB
♦Main application: Data Processing
♦64 compute nodes
♦Memory capacity : 8TB
♦Storage capacity : 128TB
♦Main application: Data base
Binhai New Area, Tianjin, China Tel:022-65375501 Fax：022-66211679
National Supercomputing Center in Tianjin Copyright 2009
Recommend the use of Micosoft IE and in 1024 * 768 or higher resolution view